this recipe was thought about by me, myself, and i.. of course with knowledge of what's in a string bean casserole.. i'm so proud of myself bc this is definitely one of the top 5 best things i've ever made!
what you'll need for 4 servings:
1 large bag of string beans, rinsed & cut off sides
1 1/2 cups gluten free flour
1 large onion, sliced and separated to circles
3 cups of sliced and cleaned mushrooms (doesn't matter which kind)
3 cups almond milk
1/2 cup green onions
2 1/4 cups vegetable stock
seasoning (i used perfect pinch rotisserie chicken by mccormick)
1. in a medium bowl, pour 1 cup of almond milk and let onions soak. in another medium bowl mix 1/2 cup of the gluten free flour and a pinch of seasoning.
2. one by one remove the onions from the almond milk and cover in flour mix, shaking excess off. heat up some EVOO in a skillet and fry a handful at a time, flipping them when they are golden.
3. lay them on paper towels to soak up extra oil and put aside.
4. boil water in a large pot and add string beans. let cook for about 15-20 minutes then run them under cold water.
5. in a large skillet season mushrooms & green onions and cook in a spoonful of butter for about 5 minutes. slowly add in vegetable stock, then the rest of the flour, then the rest of the milk.
6. let simmer until liquid is reduced and almost gone. add string beans and mix well until coated with mushroom mixture.
7. pour mixture into a medium sized baking pan and add a layer of onions on top.
8. cook until onions have turned dark brown and mushroom/string bean mixture is bubbling. (about 20 minutes)